Acad. Vera Bitrakova-Grozdanova was born on 19th of July 1939 in Ohrid, where she finished secondary school. She graduated on the Faculty of Philosophy in Zagreb in 1963 at the Department of Archeology. From 1963 to 1972 she worked as a curator at the National Museum in Ohrid in the Department of ancient archeology. From 1972 to 1975 she worked as a curator for Roman Archeology at the Archaeological Museum in Skopje. In 1972 she completed postgraduate studies at the Faculty of Philosophy in Zagreb on the Department of Archeology, specializing in ancient archeology on the theme Ranokriščanski spomenici Ohridske regije (Early Christian monuments in of Ohrid region), and in 1984 at the same faculty in Zagreb she defended her doctoral thesis on the topic Spomenici helenističkog razdoblja na tlu SR Makedonije (Monuments of the Helenistic period on the soil of SR Macedonia, supervised by academic Duje Rendic-Miochevic). From 1975 until retirement she was Professor of Philosophy at the Institute of Art History and Archeology on the subjects: History of art of the ancient peoples, Classical archeology and ancient archeology of the Balkans. From 1978 to 1997 she taught history of art of the ancient peoples at the Faculty of Fine Arts in Skopje.
Acad. Bitrakova-Grozdanova realized study stays in Paris, France in 1967 and in 1993 at the Institute of Art and Archeology (Institut d’art et d’archeologie – Universités de Paris) and the Faculty in Besançon (Faculté des letters et sciences humaines-Beasançon ); in 1979 in Germany as a guest of the Institute of Archeology and ancient history at the Berlin Academy (Zentralinsitut fur Alte Gechichte und Archaologie Akademie der Wissenchaften der DDR); In 1980 in Bulgaria, as a guest of the Historical Faculty in Sofia at the Thracelogic Department; in 1980 in Albania, as a guest of the Albanian Academy of Sciences (Académie des Sciences d’Albanie – Institut d’archaéologie). In Greece she has had a longer stay in the year of 1968/69 as a scholar of the Greek government, and in 1982 as a guest of the Ministry of Culture, where she had mainly worked in the French School of Athens (École française d’Athènes), at the National Library in Genadion; in 1999 she stayed in Athens as a guest of the French archaeological school.
She participated in several archaeological excavations; Danilo in Sibenik (1959-1962), Muline on the island Ugljan (1959), Stobi (1963, 1974), in Scupi (1971) in Tetovo (1979), in Debreste near Prilep (1965), in Ohrid polyconchal church Plaoshnik (1960-1963). Acad. Vera Bitrakova-Grozdanova realized more independent excavations: Ohrid – the necropolis at ul. Ilinden (1966), the Church of polyconchal Plaosnik (1964-1966), the basilica in Studencista (1968), Kale – Samuel Fortress (1995/6, 2000), the fortress and necropolis in Deboj (2000); Struga necropolis and the Citadel in Delogozda (1979-1984, 2007), the Basilica in Oktisi – St. Nicholas (1990-1992), a necropolis in Oktisi (1998), the Basilica in Tashmarunishta – St. Martinija, (1999-2001), in the cemetery Dobovjani (1998); Kratovo (1988); Prespa and conducted researches of settlements in Pretor (1967), Krani (1990), Nakolec (2002) and the Golem Grad island (1967, 1968, 1980-1984, 1992-1994, 1998-2008).
Scientific interest of acad. Bitrakova-Grozdanova is directed towards the study of crafts (cheramography, jewelry, toreutics), beliefs with art creations and urban processes in the antiquity. As an outstanding contributions are included the researches of early Christian archeology.
In the period 1998-2002 she was a member of the Board for the restoration of the church of St. Clement – St. Panteleimon as a surveillance for excavation and conservation of architectural objects and a member of the competition committee for the selection of architectural design for the reconstruction of the holy object, and since 2007 she is the scientific head of the excavations at Plaosnik and a member of the Board for the restoration of “St. Clement University” at Plaosnik in Ohrid. She was a Chief editor of the journal Macedonia ACTA achaeologica -Skopje e from 1988 to 1996, member of the international research center in Pula and the magazine Histria Antiqua -Pula in the period from 1994 to 2011.
Acad. Vera Bitrakova-Grozdanova has authored more than 150 scientific papers. She was organizer and participant of numerous international scientific meetings.
Acad. Vera Bitrakova-Grozdanova has won many scientific and social awards: the award “Goce Delchev” as a top Republican recognition for the extensive study “The monuments from the Hellenistic period in the Socialist Republic of Macedonia” in 1988; the prestigious European award Herder-Preise, awarded by the University of Vienna by the Foundation Alfred Toepfer Stiftung FVS, in 1999, for achievements in science in the field of art history and early Christian archeology, as well as informing the world about the monuments of Macedonia, the Republic award “St. Naum of Ohrid ” in 2007 for achievements in culture. Georgiev’s medal Golden Fortuna “Honor, Freedom, Labor” in 2003 was awarded by the Internacional Academie Rating of Popularity of Kiev. In 2004 and she is awarded with “Spomenica” (Memorabilia) of International Research Center of Archaeology. In 2013 Numismatic society PAIONON awarded her with Plaque for the development of numismatics in Macedonia.
For Full member of the Macedonian Academy of Sciences and Arts she was elected on 27th of May 2009.