Research Center for Environment and Materials
The Research Center for Environment and Materials was established in 2014.
As part of the Macedonian Academy of Sciences and Arts, the Center is conceived as kind of a focal point that coordinates the research activity in the field of the environment, on one hand, and the area of materials, on the other. The idea is the laboratory equipment and instruments already in possession by the faculties and research units outside the Macedonian Academy of Sciences and Arts to be made available to all interested researchers, collaborators of the Center, so to maximize the opportunity for its optimal utilization, to increase the inter disciplinary cooperation, to improve the working conditions and the competitiveness of the domestic researchers, and to provide the young researchers greater independence and chance to realize their ideas.
In order to achieve this basic objective memoranda of cooperation with nine institutions in the country has already been signed.
In these few years since the establishment of the Center it has been intensively worked on 9 projects of the program of cooperation between the Macedonian Academy of Sciences and Arts and the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, whose heads are Acad. Bojan Šoptrajanov, Acad. Gligor Jovanovski and Acad. Vlado Matevski. Coordinators of these projects are researchers who have signed a consent to be associates of the Research Center for Environment and Materials.
- Application of atomic absorption spectrometry in the analysis of trace elements;
- Spectroscopic and structural research of some metal complexes;
- Tautomeric balances in molecular clusters and liquids;
- Study of the surface morphology of nanostructured thin layers with techniques of scanning probe microscopy;
- Structural characterization and research of the electrical and catalytic properties of newly synthesized complex perovskites;
- Preparation and characterization of electrochromic thin films of vanadium oxides;
- Synthesis, characterization and antimicrobial evaluation of some new quinolones;
- Capture of charge in structures metal/oxide/high k-dielec-tric/oxide/ Si (MOHOS) for application in lasting memories;
- Floristic and taxonomic studies of some genera of the families Lamiacae and Astraceae in the Republic of Macedonia and in the Republic of Bulgaria.
As a result of the research work at the Center more than two dozen scientific papers have been published, most of them in international scientific journals. The results of the scientific work of the Research Center have been presented on more than a dozen national and international scientific meetings in the form of posters or oral presentations.
The Research Center for Environment and Materials cooperates with numerous institutions in the Republic of Macedonia, the neighboring countries, and with several scientific institutions from different countries in Europe and the world. The cooperation with these institutions includes cooperation on joint research projects, specialization and training of scientific personnel, invited lecturers and exchange of literature. The Center employs a research associate and an associate researcher, but in its work are also included a number of scientists form the country and abroad.